
Today I will revert back to my original topic of professionalism. When I think of famous artist in the business of making music I think of people that were born to do it, lucky or just knew the right people. I know they are professionals but I respect them in a different (not greater) way than I do business professionals that stay behind the scenes. As a child I loved to imagine myself as a star on stage singing at award shows and doing interviews on television. When I got older my aspirations grew to become more realistic. I now like to imagine myself in my office with all of my awards and achievements on the walls around me, with my Doctorate being one of them.
This weekend I sang a song with my friend at a show called Apollo Night. Apollo Night is put on by the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE). You showcase a talent and can advance to the finals if you're not booed off of stage in the process. Luckily we weren't booed. We made it to the finals and won. After it was over my friend posted the video on Facebook. Another friend of mine in Tennessee called me and was very persistent about me recording. He does this for a living and works with a lot of well-known artists. It scares me to think about that as an option for the future.
We talked about it and in the conversation he asked me why I would not have considered it as a career option. I told him the truth and that is that there are so many people that are talented in various ways. This does not mean that in their lifetimes they will receive the opportunity to make ridiculous amounts of money and be known all over the world. I would love it but I never want to be a starving artist because it did not work out. Am I being pessimistic or am I being real? I say all of this to say, I hate that chasing dreams is such a risk. I don't think I'll love my dream after it fails. So many people try their whole lives or do it simply because they love it and I respect them for it. I just don't think that I have it in me.
The photo above was taken directly from http://www.treehugger.com

That's really awesome that you and your friend won the competition! And even cooler that someone wanted you to record something! I feel like if it's not your dream career you can always do it as a hobby for a fun side project, but it's really neat either way!
ReplyDelete