Life is confusing. But professional life is just plain complicated.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fake it 'Til You Make It (Week 6)

I have a friend that always used to say "fake it 'til you make it." I hate the phrase. All it meant to me was that I had to suffer in uncertainty until I was finally to a place of content. It meant, feel an uncomfortable feeling until you eventually get used to it. Once I decided to do try applying this phrase I found that it was beyond useful in so many aspects of my life.

I have an advisor that is always emphasizing the need to develop myself as a leader and I appreciate his persistence. However, I read books and articles, listened to lectures, and attended programs all aimed at making a leader out of me. I have heard so many quotes that were intended to inspire me. My inner desires to lead have never really been sparked. I guess I'd like to hear of traits that leaders posses that are similar to qualities that I ALREADY posses myself.

While reading an interview conducted by Adam Bryant for New York Times entitled "He's Not Bill Gates, or Fred Astaire," I read something that was "real," for lack of a better term. Vineet Nayar is the Chief Executive of HCL Technologies told of his most effective leadership ability. I will leave you with his quote:

"The first day coming out of B-school, I joined HCL, and I became a boss of two people. And what I learned immediately is that they were as smart as me, their aspirations were just as great, but they did not know what to do. I also discovered that I did not know what to do, but I lied through my teeth in those early days, projecting this sense that I knew what had to be done. I did not know where I had to go, and I was projecting as if I knew. I assume that you expect me to know where I am going, and you will respect me for that, and the day I tell you both of us are in the same boat, we would fail. That was a very big learning for me."

The photo above was taken from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/business/14cornerweb.html?pagewanted=1&ref=business

1 comment:

  1. I find the phrase "fake it 'til you make it" a very interesting concept. In my opinion, this can prove very useful if used correctly and in moderation. For example, if you feel uncomfortable and shy for an interview "faking" confidence can be the key to success. On the other hand, "faking" your way through life and not being true to yourself can be more detrimental than good.

    ReplyDelete