Life is confusing. But professional life is just plain complicated.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Non-Conventional = Non Professional :( (Week 5)

I guess that it could work against me or for me that I am not completely sure of myself yet. Hopefully it does the latter. There are times when I hate putting on my boots (that sound like they have a heel) and my red pea coat. At times they add to my professionalism and other times they make me stick out in a sea of students that did not feel the need to get dressed for class. They are my boots and my coat, I bought them but somedays I just hate them. It reminds me that I grew up in Athens, Ohio, a place where being free, not matching, and wearing hand-me-downs can be the norm. Somedays I just want to be that.


Recently I had a professor that was just that. Her clothes did not match. She never came in with heels and a suit. In fact, she came in with knee high rainbow socks and jeans. She let us know when she was angry and made us laugh when she was happy. She cussed when she felt like it and told us things about herself when she had time. On the first day of class she scared most of the students with her stand-off attitude and blunt expression. We soon got used to the way that she conducted her class and I quickly loved it. I found her refreshing and very comical at times. Above all, she was extremely intelligent and shared her knowledge with us in ways that we had never expected. She told us the truth about what we were learning and forced us to do better. As a professor she did her job in a manner that was unconventional and I enjoyed it more than I have ever enjoyed any class. Being in her class I learned so much and value the time that I spent in that environment.


I luckily attend a school that accepts all types students and professors as long as they are willing to learn and equipped to teach. However, every employer is not like Ohio University. My mother is a professor at a school that is much more conservative. Her students call her Ms. and professors can be like parents. Many places run similar to her university, where traditional is professional. It is so unfortunate that professionalism is so closely associated with traditionalism. My professor did her job in a manner that, as a student, I found more effect than the traditional lecture course. Hopefully as time moves on there will be a wider acceptance of knowledge rather than appearance and traditionalism.

2 comments:

  1. While I think there is a time and place to display unconventionality, I do think that most professors should strive to be fairly professional. There is a way teach where they can still be effective in getting the material across but that still doesn't have to take away from their professionalism. I know everyone has a different learning style and preferences, and that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Megan that there is a time and place to be different, but I still think that you need to be some-what professional. I myself do enjoy when my professors are a little bit more free in the classroom. You tend to enjoy the class more I feel, but they are still representing a school and a staff so they still need to come across as professional.Overall different can be good, but I believe there is a line that can be crossed.

    ReplyDelete