Life is confusing. But professional life is just plain complicated.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

MAC vs. PC RIVALRY (Week 7)

As soon as I click on the Safari icon on my computer a window pops up. And the first thing I see in that window is an advertisement for the IPad. I have a Mac laptop, I use an ipod and I do not get along with my phone because it functions like a PC. I say all of this to say that I am a lover of Apple. It is actually funny how people have taken sides as of late. PCs and Macs have become like rival football teams and you are either a fan of one or the other. I have chosen sides and I will forever be a Mac person.

I think its slightly worrisome to think that I could possibly end up at my dream job, go to work on the first day, sit down and have my brain shut down at the sight of a horrid PC on my desk. Last summer I worked at a summer program for high school students called Camp IT. We were teaching Information Technology though I know absolutely nothing about it. Not only did I not know about information technology, I had no idea how to work the PC at my desk!

How do we go about fixing this problem of rival users. I have no idea. Students in so many schools learn about information technology in classes that are required, however, some of those classes are taught using PCs and the better funded classes are using Macs. We have at least taken one step in the right direction. For example, here at Ohio University we have both options available. If I'm lucky we will all switch to Macs because they just work better.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I love Macs. PCs however will always be prevalent in society so I guess we'll just have to learn how to get along with them.

    ReplyDelete